JACKSONVILLE, Florida – After nearly 11 months of public debates and protests, the Duval County School Board will vote Tuesday night on nine school names bearing the mark of controversial historical figures.
The Duval County School Board building was blocked by barricades and cones on Tuesday as school district police prepared for protesters ahead of the vote. Cones and barriers were placed several meters in front of the building and school district police were on site, guarding the property.
Not 1, not 2, but 3 distinct manifestations before the @DuvalSchools meeting, all of whom are assigned an area to congregate in.
– Joe McLean (@JoeMcLeanNews) June 1, 2021
Tuesday’s vote comes after months of emotional debate on both sides of the issue that has garnered national attention. Last week, opponents of the name changes displayed a dozen Confederate flags on the property of Duval Schools as people gathered for a protest and the two sides clashed in the parking lot with microphones and megaphones.
Superintendent Diana Greene recommended changing the names of six of the nine schools under consideration for the name change.
According to the Superintendent’s recommendations to be submitted to the school board, the renaming of Robert E. Lee High School would cost more than expected, approximately $ 366,000.
Colleges – including JEB Stuart, Jefferson Davis, and Kirby-Smith – are now estimated to be cheaper to rename than those initially cited – less than $ 150,000 each.
Elementary schools – Joseph Finegan and Stonewall Jackson – are also included in the initial estimate. They will cost around $ 12,000 each.
|School||Updated cost estimate||Initial cost estimate|
|Joseph Finegan Elementary School||$ 12,000||$ 32,000|
|Stonewall Jackson Elementary School||$ 12,000||$ 32,000|
|JEB Stuart Midfielder||$ 143,307||$ 287,000|
|Jefferson Davis Midfielder||$ 143,307||$ 287,000|
|Kirby Smith Midfielder||$ 148,307||$ 287,000|
|Robert E. Lee High||$ 366,302||$ 287,000|
|Andrew Jackson High||N / A||$ 287,000|
|Jean Ribault Haute||N / A||$ 287,000|
|Jean Ribault Midfielder||N / A||$ 287,000|
|Total||$ 825,223||$ 2,073,000|
Jean Ribault Middle, Jean Ribault High, and Andrew Jackson High High Schools did not receive estimates because renaming was not recommended.
If the school board approves Greene’s choices, the total cost of renaming the six schools would be approximately $ 825,000.
According to Greene’s recommendations, private donations would cover 76% of the cost, with the remaining 24% coming from sponsorship dollars through the school district’s beverage contract. It is estimated that the district plans to spend $ 202,000 if the school board approves Greene’s plan.
|Private donations (76%)||$ 623,223|
|Sponsorship funds from beverage deal (24%)||$ 202,000|
|Total cost of renaming the six recommended schools (100%)||$ 825,223|
Copyright 2021 by WJXT News4Jax – All rights reserved.