Paramount Global will run what it called “its biggest and most ambitious marketing campaign in the UK” throughout the summer, to announce the launch of its new streaming service, Paramount+, in the region. .
Paramount+ will be available in the UK and Ireland from June 22. Launch lineup will include exclusive originals, blockbuster films from Paramount Pictures, and a wide selection of Paramount’s most iconic shows, including the sci-fi hit HALO, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, The first lady and children’s favorites Kamp Koral: Spongebob is less than a year old and paw patrol: The film.
An advertising campaign featuring Uma Thurman will see the Hollywood star peek behind the iconic Paramount mountain, to present them with the list of stars and titles heading to the service.
On television, the spots will be placed around primetime programming on a range of commercial channels, including Channel 5 and its digital portfolio, as well as broadcaster VoD services and YouTube.
On cinema screens, advertisements will take a premium positioning around some of the most anticipated films of the summer, such as Elvis and Thor: Love and Thunder.
Additionally, Paramount will leverage the reach of its UK and Ireland owned-and-operated platforms to cross-promote Paramount+ content across its free and pay TV channels, including Channel 5, MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon as well than My5 and Pluto TV streaming services.
The launch party will see Channel 5 air the opening episode of one of the streaming service’s biggest hits under the banner ‘Paramount+ presents – HALO‘viewers are encouraged to watch the rest of the series on Paramount+.
In a sort of takeover of London’s West End, Paramount will transform the capital’s entertainment district into a tribute to its stars, hit shows and entertainment brands. Augmented reality-enabled signage around all major facilities will allow fans to interact with Paramount+ content and sign up for the service.
In partnership with Heart of London Business Alliance and Westminster City Council, a variety of large-scale installations and pop-up windows will include:
- The march of the stars: The streaming service’s answer to the Hollywood Walk of Fame will see more than 50 illuminated stars hung above four West End streets to honor Paramount superstars, including Sylvester Stallone, Gillian Anderson, Michelle Pfeiffer and Viola Davis, alongside hit songs like Transformers, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and Scream.
- Paramount+ Experience: A pop-up space at Piccadilly Circus will allow fans to immerse themselves in their favorite films and shows through replica sets, memorabilia, stunts and other opportunities for social amplification.
- ‘Leicester Square Pants’: Leicester Square will be transformed into Leicester SquarePants, with the beach-loving resident of Bikini Bottom settling into his pineapple house and serving up Krabby Patties and other surprises.
- ‘Sheridan Street’ Makeover: Irving Street will get a Wild West makeover, to honor some of the shows and talent from the Taylor Sheridan TV universe, including Yellowstone and 1883.
- HALO installation at Piccadilly Circus: In addition to the West End invasion, the streets of London will also bring visitors face to face with a spectacular scene from the sci-fi hit HALO.
In addition, the Piccadilly Lights screen will present an extraordinary HALO Anamorphic 3D display to complement the large-scale installation on a nearby sidewalk.
An extensive OOH campaign will also see Paramount+ talent and programming highlighted at high-impact, high-end venues nationwide, including London’s Storm Cromination and the main suburban corridor at King’s Cross station.
Across the country, top-notch digital screens have been booked in major travel hubs and malls in major cities, while the transport network will see buses and trams wrapped in the streaming service’s hero shows.
Additionally, Paramount+ will be hosting a drone show in Hollywood, Birmingham, one of the biggest ever in the UK, in partnership with Sky Magic. Additionally, a projection of the famous Paramount mountain will be displayed on the lastminute.com London Eye.
Anna Priest, UK Marketing Director, Paramount, said of the campaign: “We have launched an exciting, ambitious and far-reaching campaign to match the scale of the offering on Paramount+. This campaign aims to unleash the power of our brand and content to local audiences and is the largest we have ever undertaken in this market. It combines the impact of mass media with cutting-edge new experiential technologies, like our AR-enabled Walk of Stars in London, the Drone Show in Hollywood, Birmingham, and anamorphic HALO display on Piccadilly Lights. We want visitors to our experiential wonderland to be surprised and thrilled by the opportunity to interact with our mountain of entertainment.
The overall campaign was designed and overseen by Paramount’s UK marketing, PR and creative teams, in partnership with US colleagues and with support from partner agencies, namely Glass Eye for creative work on social networks; creative agency New Commercial Arts (NCA); New Position for Influencer Marketing; Leading PR for consumer communications and event support, and media agency Wavemaker.
Priest continued, “Our agency partners brought an abundance of creative ideas and unbridled energy to this project. Each has worked as an extension of the team here at Paramount and this collaborative approach has been critical to the success of the overall campaign execution.
Users will be able to sign up for the service for £6.99 (€8.30) per month/£69.90 per year in the UK, after a seven-day free trial. Sky Cinema subscribers will receive the included Paramount+ bonus at no extra cost.